1940 ~ 1944
The Pitsford Home Guard living history unit continues to research the history of Northamptonshire Home Guard. The following pages contain platoon photographs and information about the Home Guard in Northamptonshire during the war years from Anthony Eden's broadcast on 14th May 1940 until the stand down in December 1944.
We are grateful to Northamptonshire Records Office, Pitsford Parish Council and Brixworth, Pitsford and Spratton History Societies for their invaluable assistance.
The Battalions of Northamptonshire Home Guard are listed below. They are sub divided into Companies and Platoons and information will be added as our research continues. You will be able to click on an entry where we have information and/or photographs for a particular Company or Platoon. Click on the County Insignia to jump to the required Battalion.
1st (City of Peterborough) Battalion
Originally raised as Peterborough Division, Local Defence Volunteers and formed into six groups - City No's 1,2 & 3 and Soke No’s 1, 2 & 3. Retitled and split into two Battalions on 17th July 1940. Transferred to the Huntingdonshire Zone in August 1942.
2nd (Soke of Peterborough) Battalion
Formed on 17th July 1940. Transferred to the Huntingdonshire Zone in August 1942.
3rd (Oundle & Thrapston District) Battalion
Raised in May 1940 as Oundle and Thrapston District L.D.V. and retitled in July 1940. Battalion strength about 2000.
4th (Kettering Town) Battalion
Raised in May 1940. Part of Market Harborough sector. Originally 4 Companies – No.1 West, No.2 South, No.3 East, No.4 North.
5th (Kettering District) Battalion
Raised in May 1940. Part of Market Harborough Sector.
6th (Corby Works) Battalion
Part of Market Harborough Sector. Raised as Stewarts and Lloyds Group within Kettering Division. Retitled to Corby Works Battalion in November 1940.
7th (Wellingborough Town) Battalion
Raised on 1st June 1940 as Wellingborough Town Group, Local Defence Volunteers. Responsible for defence of Sywell Aerodrome in 1941 and 1944. Part of Northampton Sector.
A Company - Wellingborough West Ward
B Company - Wellingborough North Ward
C Company - Wellingborough East Ward
D Company - Wellingborough South Ward
E Company - LMSR Railway (from Feb 1941 - June 1942)
F Company - Finedon
H Company - Harrowden, Isham, Orlingbury & Hardwick
I Company - Irthlingborough & The Addingtons
L Company - Wellingborough Iron Works
M Company - Wellingborough L.M.S. Railway
P Company - Wellingborough Iron Company, Thingdon Mines
S Company - Wellingborough School O.T.C.
8th (Wellingborough District) Battalion
Raised in May 1940 as Wellingborough District Group, Local Defence Volunteers.
A Company - Raunds
B Company - Rushden (Lovell's Factory)
C Company - Earls Barton
D Company - Bozeat
E Company - Rushden (Swindalls)
F Company - Higham Ferrers
G Company - Wollaston
9th (Brixworth) Battalion
Raised as No 20 Group, Local Defence Volunteers, in May 1940. Retitled in July 1940. Part of the Northamptonshire Central Group together with Hardingstone and Daventry District Battalions and the Northampton Borough Battalions.
A Company - Guilsborough
B Company - Brixworth
No 2 Platoon - Lamport
No 3 Platoon - Maidwell & Draughton
No 4 Platoon - Old
No 5 Platoon - Scaldwell
C Company - Harlestone
No 1 Platoon - Harlestone
No 3 Platoon - Brington
No 4 Platoon - East Haddon
D Company - Moulton
E Company - Sywell (from Nov 1942)
No 1 Platoon - Sywell
No 2 Platoon - Hannington
No 3 Platoon - Holcot
10th (Daventry) Battalion
Raised in May 1940 as Daventry Group, Local Defence Volunteers. Part of the Northamptonshire Central Group together with Brixworth and Hardingstone Battalions and the Northampton Borough Battalions.
11th (Hardingstone District) Battalion
Raised May 1940 as Hardingstone District L.D.V. in Northampton. Part of the Northamptonshire Central Group together with Brixworth and Daventry District Battalions and the Northampton Borough Battalions.
A Company - Billing
No 2 Platoon
No 3 Platoon
No 4 Platoon
No 5 Platoon - Great Houghton & Brafield
B Company - Roade
C Company - Duston
No 13 Platoon - Harpole
D Company - Yardley Hastings
E Company - HQ Company, Hardingstone House
F Company - Kislingbury
No 22 Platoon
No 24 Platoon - Heyfords
No 25 Platoon
12th (Northampton) Battalion
The Battalion was originally raised as Northampton Borough Division L.D.V. in May 1940 and formed into six groups:- Headquarters, 1(North), 2(East), 3(South), 4(West) and L.M.S. Railway groups. It was re-titled to Northampton Borough Battalion on 30th July 1940 and 12th (Northampton) Battalion on 5th March 1941. Part of the Northamptonshire Central Group together with Brixworth, Daventry District and Hardingstone Battalions.
13th (Towcester) Battalion
Raised in May 1940 as No 36 Group, Local Defence Volunteers. Part of Towcester and Brackley Group.
14th (Brackley) Battalion
Raised in May 1940 as part of Towcester and Brackley Group, Local Defence Volunteers.
15th (Northampton) Battalion (from July 1943)
Raised on 1st July 1943. Battalion strength in 1943 about 1000. Part of the Northamptonshire Central Group together with Brixworth, Daventry District and Hardingstone Battalions.
We would be delighted to hear from you if you have any information or photographs of interest. Please email us.
Copyright © Pitsford Home Guard 2005-2011